Master of the Morrison Triptych

Southern Netherlands, first quarter of the 16th Century, ca, 1505

The Adoration of the Shepherds

Oil on panel
H. 93 cm. W. 34 cm.


PROVENANCE
Collection of the theological college Seminario de Belchite, Zaragoza, Spain;
Private collection, Spain


EXHIBITION
Museo Provincial de Zaragoza, Exposición retrospectiva de Arte, 1908, Zaragoza, Spain


LITERATURE
Museo Provincial de Zaragoza (1908). Exposición retrospectiva de Arte. Zaragoza, p. 91, ill. 23
Friedländer, M.J. (1915). ‘Der Meister des Morrison Triptychons’. In: Zeitschrift für Bildende Kunst, 50/26, Leipzig, p. 16;
Friedländer, M.J. (1924). Die Altniederländische Malerei. Berlin/Leiden, Vol. VII, p. 129;
Friedländer, M.J. (1967). Early Netherlandish Painting. Vol. VII, Leiden, p. 70, no. 82, ill. 71;
Defoer, H.L.M., Schooten, C.J.E. van & Wüstefeld, W.C.M. [et al.] (2003). Goddelijk geschilderd. Honderd meesterwerken van Museum Catharijneconvent. Zwolle/Utrecht, p. 73 



This painting originally formed the central panel of a triptych whose side wings were lost. Max J. Friedländer attributed the altar to the Master of the Morrison Triptych, an anonymous painter named after an altar that was formerly in the Alfred Morrison Collection (now in the Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, Ohio). Friedländer compiled a group of eight paintings by this artist, with a close affinity among the present painting and The adoration of the shepherds in the collection of Museum Catharijneconvent, Utrecht (inv. nr ABM s355), both in their composition and figural typology.



Floris van Wanroij Fine Art | Bergstraat 52 | 5551 AX Dommelen / The Netherlands | T +31 (0) 40 2040596 | E info@floris-art.com